This week Shara Bialo joined DSMA Live: ‘Rents, and what a treat it was! Shara is not only a person living with diabetes, she is a pediatrician, currently finishing her fellowship in Pediatric endocrinology. Her perspective of having grown up with diabetes, and helping patients with diabetes almost feels like looking at the back of the book for the answers to the test questions!
As Shara summarizes herself, here are some of the things she provided insight on:
- mental health and living with diabetes,
- kids may be lying to parents about their diabetes (you may be surprised at some of the tricks Shara describes),
- it can be important for kids to have the opportunity to speak to their provider alone,
- don’t keep diabetes a secret, and
- the importance of community and reaching out to people who are dealing with diabetes day in and day out – in real life.
If you missed it live, you haven’t missed it. Please take advantage of hearing her unique perspective. Listen here or on iTunes.
We also mention that Sierra Sandison is scheduled to be on the Dr. OZ Show September 11. Support Sierra, our community and help promote positive media stories about diabetes through social media.
Share your #ShowMeYourPump photo or other diabetes pride and help send a positive message about your life.
Here is a sample Tweet:
Thanks @sierra_anne93 for sharing diabetes pride on @DrOz Show. I try to live well with diabetes too. Here is my Pump #ShowMeYourPump (Share your photo)
You don’t have to use Twitter, use our favorite social media channel to share your diabetes success story!